Permits & Information
Building & Planning Information
- A full set of plans and specifications should accompany all applications in both paper and electronic form.
- All new construction and addition permits are based on the estimated cost of construction, labor plus materials. In the case of an owner performing the labor the cost of the permit is based on the material times two.
- All permits should be obtained and all fees paid prior to the beginning of construction or the owner and/or contractor may be subject to a civil citation and a stop work order being issued.
- All stages of new construction or additions (site work, building, mechanical, and plumbing) with the exception of electrical can be included in the original building permit application. The electrical portion of the permit is handled by the state of Iowa (515-205-8815).
- Permits and inspections are required on all construction including accessory buildings, portable sheds (even if constructed off-site), and fences
- Plans and specifications must be reviewed to meet minimum model code requirements adopted by the City of Grinnell
- Contractors are required to be registered with the State of Iowa to perform work in the city of Grinnell. If a homeowner lists a contractor to complete work or a contractor is found completing work and they do not have an active contractor's license with the State of Iowa, the City will notify the State regardless of the circumstances. State Registration Search
- Permit Fees
- Quick Guide to Building Regulations Brochure
- Grinnell Housing Market Assessment 2020
- IA DOT Sign Permit Process
- Contractor Registration Pamphlet
- Deck Requirements - Residential
- Emergency Escape & Egress Window Requirements
- Garage Requirements - Residential
- Prescriptive Energy Compliance
- Smoke Detectors - Residential
- Stair, Ramp & Handrail Requirements - Residential
- ADA Information & Technical Assistance
- International Energy Conservation Code Commercial Scope and Envelope Requirements
- International Energy Conservation Code Residential Energy Code Update
- International Code Council Energy Efficient Certificate Sticker