The following are items accepted as part of Grinnell's Recycling Program and can be placed in your red bin:
- White/Colored Papers - junk mail, school papers, envelopes, soft-covered books and hard-covered books. (It is not necessary to remove staples or cellophane from window envelopes.)
- Newspapers/Magazines - includes glossy inserts and phone books
- Shred Paper - in a paper bag (not acceptable if in a plastic bag)
- Plastics - numbers 1-7 (screw on lids should be removed)
- Plastic Lids - numbers 1-7
- Tins (magnetic) - cans and foil
- Aluminums (non-magnetic) - pop cans, cat food cans and foil
- Cardboard - corrugated, cereal/tooth paste/shoe boxes, cardboard egg cartons, brown paper bags - all must be flattened, any cardboard that doesn't fit in your bin should be placed under your bin
The following are items accepted as part of Grinnell's Recycling Program but should not be placed in your red bin:
- Motor Oil/Antifreeze - must be placed in original container with lid firmly affixed. Place it behind the dumpsters by the shop doors at the Public Service Department (1411 1st Avenue).
- Glass Bottles & Containers - remove screw on lids and drop off at Public Service Department (1411 1st Avenue) in specially marked Glass Recycling Dumpster. Do not place in red bin.
- Batteries - See Battery Recycling for list of acceptable batteries - drop off at Public Service Department or Drake Community Library - Do not place in red bin