The city of Grinnell uses an automated system for curb-side pick-up of trash. Each household and small business outside of the Central Business District* has been issued a cart to be used for trash. The cart stays with the property.
- All solid waste carts must be placed within four (4) feet of the curb by 7 a.m. on your scheduled pick-up day. Carts should be placed with the bar facing the street. There should be six (6) feet of clearance from vehicles, other carts, mailboxes, and other items on all sides of the cart
- Trash must fit in the cart with the lid completely closed. If you have more trash than will fit in the closed cart, you can affix a yellow city sticker to your bag and dispose of it at the Public Service Department (1411 1st Avenue). Stickers cost $1.30 + tax and can be purchased at Fareway, HyVee, McNally's, the Public Service Department, and City Hall.
- The monthly charge on your city utility bill for automated solid waste pick-up is applied to the cost of labor, equipment, fuel, landfill fees, recycling fees, and other expenses associated with the once-per-week collection of solid waste and the drop-off recycling center.(See Sanitation Rates)
In the Central Business District, the city of Grinnell manually picks up solid waste from the curb. Solid waste must be in bags tagged with a city of Grinnell $1.30 yellow sticker. While supplies last, solid waste can also be placed in a city of Grinnell $1.30 yellow trash bag.
- Stickers can be purchased at Fareway, HyVee, McNally's, the Public Service Department, and City Hall. The cost for each is $1.30 + tax which is used to pay the landfill fees. Bags (where available) are sold in packages of five (5) and will be available until the inventory is exhausted.
- Contents of the bag shall not exceed 40 pounds unless used inside a trash container. If using a container it shall be no larger than 32 gallons and weigh no more than 60 pounds when full. If you use a container, simply place a sticker on the top item in the container as the sticker must be disposed of with the trash.
- If violations of the rules are committed, a fluorescent green non-collection notice sticker will be attached to your bag and/or container explaining the reason your solid waste was not picked up.
- The monthly charge on your city utility bill for manual solid waste pick-up in the Central Business District is applied to the cost of labor, equipment, fuel, and other expenses associated with the once-per-week collection of solid waste and the drop-off recycling center.
- There are special $16 (plus tax) stickers for the disposal of appliances and bulky items weighing over 60 pounds, such as: refrigerators, freezers, stoves, air conditioning units, dehumidifiers, water heaters, commercial coolers, furnaces, thermostats, washers, dryers, dishwashers, microwave ovens, recliners, couches, dressers, mattress/box spring, etc. Use of the $16 sticker requires scheduling a special pick-up with the Public Service Department at (641) 236-2632.
- Mattress/Box Spring Disposal: Mattresses and box springs are required to be in a plastic bag for disposal through the City of Grinnell. The Pubic Service department has disposal bags available for purchase if needed.
Persons with questions about this program should call (641) 236-2632 for more information.