- City Clerk
- Licenses / Permits
- Golf Cart Permits
Golf Cart Permits
RegistrationGolf carts to be driven on city streets should be registered with the city clerk.
To register a golf cart the following information is needed:
- A Certificate of Registration needs to be completed annually (July 1 to June 30) at City Hall, 520 4th Avenue
- Proof of liability insurance covering operation on city streets
- Payment of the $20 registration fee
Rules of OperationGolf carts registered with the City Clerk may be operated on city streets unless otherwise prohibited by the Code of Iowa as now exists, or hereafter amended, or by the provisions of the code of ordinances of the City of Grinnell.
- A City permit sticker provided upon acceptance of registration must be displayed on the bumper of the golf cart.
- Golf carts may be operated only by persons who possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license issued by a state licensing authority.
- Golf carts may be operated on city streets from sunrise to sunset, regardless of whether the golf cart is equipped with lights.
- Golf carts operated upon a city street shall be equipped with a slow moving vehicle sign on the back thereof as well as a bicycle safety flag, and all carts shall have adequate brakes.
- Golf carts operated upon a city street only for the purpose of crossing the street shall not be required to be equipped with a slow-moving vehicle sign and a bicycle safety flag as otherwise herein required.
- Golf carts shall be driven as close as practical to the right-hand edge of any street, except when executing a left turn.
- Golf carts shall yield the right-of-way to other motor vehicles and pedestrians at all uncontrolled intersections regardless of the dictates of Section 321.319 of the Code of Iowa.
- Golf carts shall not be operated in any park, playground or upon any other City-owned property without the express permission of the City.
- Golf carts may be parked upon any city street within the City of Grinnell, Iowa, subject to the same terms and conditions applicable to the parking of automobiles and other motor vehicles, with the exception that golf carts may not park upon any street within the City of Grinnell where their operation is otherwise prohibited by city ordinance or the provisions of the Code of Iowa as now existing or hereafter amended.
- Golf carts shall operate in single file.
- No person shall ride on, and no operator shall allow a person to ride on, a golf cart, or any portion thereof, not designed or intended for the conveyance of passengers.
- The owner and operator of a golf cart are liable for any injury or damage occasioned by the negligent operation of the golf cart. The owner of a golf cart shall be liable for any such injury or damage only if the owner was the operator of the golf cart at the time the injury or damage occurred or if the operator had the owner's consent to operate the golf cart at the time the injury or damage occurred.
Restrictions On UseGolf carts shall not operate on the following city streets:
- Park Street, between 3rd and 6th Avenues
- Broad Street, between 3rd and 6th Avenues
- Main Street, between 3rd and 6th Avenues
- 3rd Avenue, between West and Park Streets
- 4th Avenue, between West and Park Streets
- 5th Avenue, between West and Park Streets
- Highway 146
- Highway 6