Free household hazardous waste collection for Poweshiek County residents will be held on Saturday, April 28th from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Public Services Department 1411 1st Avenue, Grinnell.
- Common household cleaners
- Lawn & pool chemicals
- Oil & lead-based paint
- Stains & varnishes
- Gasoline & kerosene
- Lighter fluid
- Rechargeable batteries
- Fluorescent light bulbs & CFLs
- Sharps (needles) in rigid plastic jug
- Latex paint
- Medical wastes/drugs
- Radioactive materials
- Fire extinguishers & gas cylinders
- Auto batteries
- Alkaline batteries (A, AA, AA, C, D)
- Empty containers
- Motor oil
- Hazardous waste from businesses
Call SCISWA at 1-641-828-8545 for more information about what is acceptable and not acceptable.
Managing latex paint: open it up, add kitty litter, stir. When dry, place open can in your trash.
The household chemical collection is a service of South Central Iowa Solid Waste Agency and Metro Waste Authority.