ATV Permits


Only ATVs registered with the city clerk may be operated on the streets, traveling from one place to another for the sole purpose of snow removal operations, and must be equipped with equipment that is used for snow removal operations.

To register an ATV the following information is needed:
  • A Certificate of Registration needs to be completed annually at City Hall, 520 4th Avenue
  • Proof of liability insurance on the vehicle of $500,000 per claim and acknowledgement from the insurer that they are aware that the ATV is being operated on public streets

Snow Removal

ATVs used for snow removal:
  • Any violations of these regulations shall result in immediate suspension of the permit for a minimum of one year
  • Cannot be driven across Iowa Highway 146 or U.S. Highway 6
  • Must be equipped with at least one amber flashing, rotating or oscillating beacon light, one head lamp and one tail lamp, which shall be lighted during the operation on a public street at any time
  • No ATV shall be driven on any street solely for entertainment or pleasure
  • Operation on the streets shall be only during the period from November 1 to March 31
  • Operator must have in their possession a valid driver's license issued by the State of Iowa
  • Shall be equipped with brakes which conform to standards prescribed by the director of transportation
  • Shall carry only the operator (no passengers) and the operator must wear a DOT approved helmet while operating on the public right of way (includes streets and sidewalks)
  • Shall not be operated at a rate of speed greater than reasonable or proper under all existing conditions or at a rate in excess of the posted speed limit