Volume-based charging are charges according to the amount of solid waste that the customer contributes to the landfill. Solid waste is the material you place at the curb, which ends up in the landfill. Recyclables are the material you place at the curb in your red bin, which are sold by the city to companies that re-use the materials, keeping it out of the landfill.
The Iowa legislature is seeking to decrease solid waste and increase recyclables. The easiest way to achieve this goal is to "buy wise!" This means that when you purchase items, check whether the container is recyclable or not. If you buy wise, when it comes time to put out your garbage, you have already changed the balance of material from solid waste to recycling in your own home.
Here is more information as to how this program works:
- The monthly charge on your city utility bill for solid waste/recycling is applied to the cost of labor, equipment, fuel, and other expenses associated with the once-per-week collection of solid waste/recycling. (See Sanitation Rates)
- Persons wishing to dispose of solid waste will need to purchase specially marked yellow trash bags at a cost of $1.30 (plus tax) per bag, which is used to pay for the landfill fees. Bags are sold in packages of 5. (Contents of the bag shall not exceed 40 pounds unless used inside a trash receptacle.)
- $1.30 (plus tax) stickers may be used rather than the yellow bags if you choose to use your own bags or place your trash in a container (no larger than 32 gallons and weighing no more than 60 pounds when full). If you use a container, simply place a sticker on the top item. Do not place the sticker on the container or the lid as the sticker must be disposed of with the trash.
- There are special $16 (plus tax) stickers for the disposal of appliances and bulky items weighing over 60 pounds, such as: refrigerators, freezers, stoves, air conditioning units, dehumidifiers, water heaters, commercial coolers, furnaces, thermostats, washers, dryers, dishwashers, microwave ovens, recliners, couches, dressers, mattress/box spring, etc. Use of the $16 sticker requires scheduling a special pick-up with the Public Service Department at (641) 236-2632.
- All solid waste/recycling must be placed within 4 feet of the curb by 7am on your scheduled pick-up day.
- If violations of the rules are committed, a fluorescent green non-collection notice sticker will be attached to your bag and/or container explaining the reason your solid waste and/or recyclables were not picked up.
- Hy Vee
- Paul's Ace Hardware
- Public Service Office 1411 st Avenue
- City Office 520 4th Avenue