When do I need an electrical permit?

The City of Grinnell requires an electrical permit for work that is outside of the electrical panel. If work is to be done which includes the addition of a new circuit to a breaker, the State of Iowa requires a permit to be obtained and the state will also complete the inspection. For work that includes working inside the panel, please contact Tim Shaw at 515-205-8815 to both obtain a permit and schedule an inspection. If you are unsure if you need a permit from the City of Grinnell contact the Building & Planning Department at 641-236-2600. 

Show All Answers

1. How do I know if I need a building permit?
2. How do I get a permit?
3. Can I plant a tree in the right-of-way?
4. What International Building Code year is the city under?
5. Does the city of Grinnell have a rental inspection program?
6. Do I need a permit for a fence and what are the guidelines for new fences?
7. Do I need a permit for a swimming pool and what are the guidelines?
8. Do I need a permit to repair or replace a driveway?
9. When do I need a mechanical permit?
10. When do I need an electrical permit?
11. When do I need a plumbing permit?
12. How are permit fees determined?
13. How do I find zoning on a property?
14. How do I find out who owns a specific property?