Fluorescent Bulb Disposal

Residential Customers

Residential customers may dispose of fluorescent tubes by dropping them off at the Public Service Department office (1411 1st Ave). Tubes should be placed in their original box or another box. The ends of the box should be sealed so the tubes do not slide out. Write fluorescent bulbs on the box. The tubes do not require a sticker. Tubes will be accepted during regular office hours 9 a.m. - 3 p.m., Mon.-Fri.

Compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs) should not be disposed of with regular solid waste. CFLs should be disposed of at the South Central Iowa Solid Waste Agency (SCISWA) transfer station located at 1163 Hwy 6, Malcom or during the city's annual hazardous waste collection. The manufacturer may also include disposal instructions with their packaging.

Commercial/Industrial Customers

The City of Grinnell Public Service department does not accept fluorescent tubes from a commercial/industrial customer. Commercial/Industrial customers may take their used tubes to the South Central Iowa Solid Waste Agency (SCISWA) transfer station located at 1163 Hwy 6, Malcom. (See List of Fluorescent Bulb Recyclers for other drop-off options for commercial/industrial customers.)

SCISWA is required by law and its contractor to document the source of waste and the disposal system used. Before dropping off fluorescent bulbs or CFLs, a commercial/industrial customer will need to complete appropriate paperwork available from SCISWA. A fee does apply ranging from about $0.80 to $2.20 per bulb depending on the type. This fee is a direct pass-through from their contractor.

More information on Fluorescent Bulbs

Letter to Commercial Customers